Friday, February 20, 2015

Review of Myregistry.com


Two weeks ago we had a big shower that my mom, along with two best friends' mothers hosted.  The shower was beautiful, the food was delicious and a good time was had by all.  For my main registry, I used myregistry.com and had a fairly successful experience with it. But, since this is a review, I have to add a few cons  :)

Pros:
I loved being able to add gifts and desirable items to my registry from all over the web.  I had items from Amazon, Land of Nod, Pottery Barn, Target, etc.  Adding gifts from all different stores allowed me to really get all the necessary items I wanted in one place.  Another bonus...myregistry.com keeps track of all your thank you notes!  It can be a bit of a spoiler in a sense, because you can see who bought what, but it is so nice to have a reliable source to reference as you write your thank you notes. You can also access "inspirational boards" to get ideas about different themes for a nursery or items you want to get.  They also have a tab dedicated to popular items that others are putting on their registries.  This helps you get ideas and see if there are any major things you could be forgetting. Based on my experience, I recommended myregistry.com to a friend who is not using it for her wedding registry.

Cons:
Not everyone invited to your shower, wether it is a wedding or baby shower, will be technically savvy.  I do think there was a bit of a generational curve when it came to purchasing items.  But let's be honest, grandparents are not always going to be the best at using the internet, let alone a registry site.  On myregistry.com you have the ability to "sync" other registries to your myregistry.com page so viewers can see the registries all in one site.  This actually is a pro, but has a con looped into it.  Myregistry.com does not support all other sites.  I was able to sync my Land of Nod and Pottery Barn Kids registries but not my Carter's, which created some confusion with the masses.  Finally, if you wanted to add a bunch of items from one store, make a registry at that store and sync it into myregistry!  This is important because it may be more convenient for some people to go to a store location as opposed to purchasing an item online.

For example, if Aunt Suzie walks into Pottery Barn because she saw a ton of items on your registry from Pottery Barn, she will be out of luck and probably purchase something random for you.  This is because you don't actually have a Pottery Barn registry, you have Pottery Barn items on your registry, which confused Aunt Suzie. Although this point is obvious to some, it is not obvious to others.  So help your attendees out and create several registries to sync into myregistry, it will be more work for you in the beginning, but will help you and your buyers out at the end.

*Why the bottle of Burt's Bee's shampoo?  My mom used some Burt's Bee's baby and Mama Bee items as center pieces on the tables at the shower.  I loved this idea because it gave me practical party favors to take home!

0 comments:

Post a Comment