Monday, November 5, 2012

Pillow Talk


Lucky for me, I worked Monday through Friday this past week like a normal person!  My regular work schedule is Tuesday through Saturday, so Andrew and I never have a true "weekend" together.  Since I had this gift, Andrew and I took advantage of going out of town, something we never get to do!  We decided to go camping, something we rarely do, but are oddly prepared for.  We own sleeping bags, a tent, a tarp and a camping grill, but never use them.  Finally we did.

We left Friday night after Andrew got off work, so the sun was setting as we drove towards Ft. Pillow State Park.  The days leading up to our trip, I started to get really scared of going camping!  Weird, I know.  I think it was because we had watched a few scary movies recently due to Halloween.  Knowing I was scared, Andrew kept making comments, fueling the fire.  About ten miles from the camp site, we passed the West Tennessee State Penitentiary!  It was this enormous facility, with buildings on both sides of the little two lane rode we were on.  I was officially freaking out.  As I was melting with horror on the inside, I tried to keep my cool.  Didn't work.  Andrew caught on, and really started to have a good time playing with my psyche.

Finally we arrived at the site, it was pitch black (even though it was only 7pm), and no other campers to be seen.  I'm going to die, I just knew a murderer from the penitentiary was going to escape and head to our campsite, the most logical and strategic hideout!  Then the ranger drove up on his nightly round and spoke to us for a few moments and we mentioned the penitentiary.  He assured us that an escapee would never come this way, let alone make it through the bluffs surrounding the camp grounds.  Likely story.  It was beginning to truly feel like a bad horror film.  As Andrew and I set up the tent and began to build a fire, I freaked out at every little noise.  It took us twice as long to set up our camp site because I was too busy spastically turning about with the flash light, freaking out when each and every leaf or acorn feel to the ground.  Are you starting to get a mental picture?

Needless to say, we lived.  We woke up the next morning, made a fire, hiked, learned about Ft. Pillow and its Civil War History, rested/napped, built another fire, cooked dinner, packed up and then headed home.  It was wonderful to get out of Memphis for a day, even though I feared for my life half the time.


Nap time


Breakfast



Boy Scout skills




Our home

Firewood organization 

S'mores









0 comments:

Post a Comment