Monday, January 7, 2013

Pearl Jam



Apparently pearls are something exciting to buy when you visit Hawaii.  In all the jewelry stores, they sell a variety of pearl necklaces, rings, earrings and more.  Many jewelry stands in the outdoor malls entice tourists as they walk by with a bowl full of living oysters.  Peaking the interests of many, shoppers will find out that for the low price of $14.99, you can open an oyster and have the pearl inside!  The catch?  You have no idea what size or color the pearl will be.  BUT, you are guaranteed to find a pearl...because they are grown in farms.  Not in Hawaii I might add, but in Tokyo.  Womp. Womp.

You might ask, what kind of silly tourist would fall for this?  And the answer would be me!  Yep. I got to open my very own oyster, just as if I had found it in the ocean while snorkeling.  At least this is how I picture finding my pearl.

Anyway, I love my pearl!  The man who sold it to me said it was one of the biggest he had seen and was worth much more that $14.99.  I hope to use the pearl to make a ring someday in the near future.




TA-DA!  Thanks for the pearl Mother Newman!



1 comments: