Friday, October 5, 2012

Not so dreamy apple pie

As you can see from former posts, we went apple picking this past weekend!  If you have read older posts, you will also know that I have a deep love affair with picking fruit, and apples are by far my favorite fruit to pick.  So you can imagine how giddy I was all weekend.  Well Sunday night I decided to use some of the apples to make a heavenly pie.  My mom has always talked about the incredible apple pie she made from a recipe by the Pioneer Women, so I decided to give it a shot.

Although this Dreamy Apple Pie looks inviting, don't be deceived.  Don't get me wrong, the pie tasted splendid, it just didn't stay together when I took it out of the dish.  Let me put it this way, my version should have been considered a crumble.  I should be clear, my frustrations were not as much with the pie filling and topping as they were with the crust.  I love using the Cook's Illustrated pie dough recipe.  It is a heartier and reliable dough that shapes easily...I can always count on it.  I did not have such luck with the Pioneer Women's dough recipe.  Once rolled out, it was fragile and impossible to put in the pan without breaking.  In the future, I think I would use the filling and topping recipes, combined with another pie dough.

Even with this critique, don't assume I didn't eat the pie....Andrew and I ate about half of it that night, and the other half the next day.  Just putting on those newlywed pounds!
Oh and my apologies for the not so good looking pictures.  It was late, bad lighting and my sweet tooth was calling my name.




0 comments:

Post a Comment